Sunday, January 24, 2010

Signs of a Bad Best Friend

Are you one of those people who gets along with everybody and tends not to constrain yourself with the confines of a social clique? Are you constantly trying to make connections with people you think would be a great best bud? Well, to make and keep friends is a lot harder than it seems, especially when you get out of college and start aging. But if you do have some friends, close friends at that, do you really consider them to be good friends?

Some people might not realize it at first, but there are a lot of friendships out there that are very dysfunctional. There often times is so much more than meets the eye. So how do we determine if our best friend is a good friend? How can we tell if your best friend is in fact your very "best" friend? It's simple. Just consider your relationship and look for the warning signs. Initially, you may want to ask yourself this.

1. Does my friend only come over if I'm making dinner, having my other friends over, or I offer them an incentive to hang out?

2. Does my friend try to make me feel inferior and always try to control the conversations and group hang outs?

3. Is my friend in constant competition with me and often times try to out beat me in our careers, clothes, looks, or other lifestyle choices?

4. Does my friend flirt with my boyfriend and show signs of dishonesty or disrespect?

5. Is it a regular thing to find out that your friend is bailing on you when you depend on a girly night the most?

6. Do I hear about my friend talking behind my back to other people or speaking about secrets that were supposed to be confidential?

7. Does it feel like my friend is pressuring me to take part in activities I do not usually partake in or make me feel dangerous at any time?

8. Is my friend a good example on me and if present, on my children and friends?

9. Does my best friend often try to steal the spotlight from me and belittles the things that matter most to me?

10. Does my friend get along with most people?

Warning signs of a bad best friend are simple to spot. If you only hang out to drink on bar stools and you never get a call back when you most need it, this may not be the best friend for you. If you can't trust them, or talk to them about things that matter, and feel that they could be secretly crushing on your hubby, than that is not a best friend. Take a few minutes to ask yourself these questions and find out if your best friend is actually "the best."

No comments:

Post a Comment